Thursday, August 4, 2011

Wyndon's Arrival

Sorry, this is a pretty long post - I tried to keep track of what happened when so that I could document all the details.

Last Wednesday started just like any other day. I got up and got myself around. I needed to go by my doctor's office to pick up some forms they filled out and then I was going to have lunch with an old friend. When I got in the car, I just felt more scrunched than normal and actually had to recline my seat some. As the day progressed, I just felt uncomfortable. We went to church like normal Wednesday night and then we went to Braum's with two other couples for ice cream. I called my mom on the way home and was telling her that I just felt uncomfortable. After we got home, I was changing and thought that maybe my water had broken. It wasn't a huge gush, but several smallish trickles. It was about 9:45. I called my mom to ask her about it and she didn't know. We decided that I should call the doctor. I called and left a message for the doctor on call and it turns out it was my doctor. She called me back about 10:20 and said that I should come in to be checked because that's the only way to know for sure.

I got myself ready to go and put my last minute items in my hospital bag. Meanwhile, Wyatt decided to clean the kitchen and straighten up the house just in case we stayed at the hospital. I wasn't in a huge rush to get there but I did start having contractions around 10. I gave Wyatt a hard time that I was going to have the baby at home, lol! Here's me right before we left:
We finally left for the hospital at about 11:30. We got a block away and Wyatt realized he left his phone. We turned around and came back to get it. We left the second time and got a few more blocks and couldn't remember if we put the garage door down. So, we turned around and came back again. It was down. So we headed for the hospital a third time!

On the way, we stopped at a QT for gas and Wyatt wanted to get a snack. We went a few miles down the road and I realized I had to go to the bathroom really bad and couldn't wait until we got to the hospital. We were coming up on a McDonald's so we decided to stop there. I was also going to get some fries while we were there since I knew I couldn't eat once we got to the hospital. Well, I got out and went up to the door and wouldn't-ya-know-it, the lobby closed at 11! There were several cars in the drive thru, but I had to go so bad I didn't want to wait in line for some fries (I was wishing I had later). So we went on down the road and stopped at the next QT we came to (which was only a little over a mile away from the hospital - but I really couldn't wait!) We finally arrived at the hospital at midnight and figured out where we were supposed to go.

They got me checked in and took me back to one of the Labor & Delivery Rooms. I put on the little gown and she checked me at 12:35 and I was already dilated to a 4 and 90%. She said my water hadn't broken but that they were going to keep me. They hooked me up to a monitor to measure my contractions and also the fetal monitor. I had decided that I would go as long as I could without any pain medication.
I started having pretty strong contractions and the nurse checked me again at 3:45. I was still at a 4, so I figured I was in for a long labor and decided to go ahead and get the epidural. I requested it at 4:15 and got it at 4:40. Talk about relief! It was so much better! The nurse came back to check me at 5 and my water broke right as she was checking me. I was now a 6-7. I was pretty happy to have progressed that much. Now it was time to rest a bit. This was all Wyatt had for a 'bed'
The next time I was checked was at 6:45 and I was still a 6-7. The shift change was at 7 and my new nurse's name was Libbie - I thought that was kinda cool. I noticed that I was starting to feel the contractions again in my back and abdomen around 7:45. I told the nurse that my epidural was wearing off and they gave me some more medicine at 8:05, but that didn't do anything. The anesthesiologist came in and repositioned the epidural at 9:50, which involved them pulling all the tape off my back and applying more tape. That didn't do anything to the pain either, so they came in and gave me a new epidural at 10:30, which once again involved pulling all the tape off and applying more. Luckily that new epidural lasted the remainder of the time. Needless to say, I'm pretty sure my back was completely hairless after them pulling all that tape off a total of 3 times! I remember saying I received a free back wax as they were pulling the tape off the last time.

The next time they checked me was at 12 and I was an 8. They checked me again at 2:10 and I was barely a 9. I was still barely a 9 at 3:30. At that point, the nurse was worried about Wyndon because his heart rate would drop with each contraction and she wasn't sure he'd do well once it was time to push/deliver him. Also, I wasn't progressing as quickly as I should have been. I was so ready to be done, tired of laying in the same position, and very, very HUNGRY! So, we made the call that it'd probably be best to do a c-section. We just had to wait on the doctor to come and check me out. She finally got there at 5:30. She could tell that he was pretty big because he was all the way up to my rib cage and agreed that a c-section would be best. They got everything ready and took me back. After they got me all prepped, they let Wyatt come in. Here's a pic of him in his scrubs:
After they made the initial cut, I realized I could feel what they were doing. Talk about some serious pain! It was indescribable! Wyndon was born at 6:05. They took him off to be cleaned and Wyatt went with them.

He was 8lbs 6oz and 20.5" long

I guess they gave me a shot of morphine right after that because the next thing I remember was waking up and them being done and getting ready to take me back to my room. I got back in the room at 7 and got to see & hold Wyndon shortly thereafter.
Wyatt had already told me that he had my eyelashes, chin, and toes. Then they moved me to a regular room at 9:15. I finally got to nurse him for the first time at 10:50. He knew exactly what to do, lol!

Wyatt and I were in love with our little guy immediately. Here are a few pictures from his first couple of days. I'm sure most of you have already seen all the pics on facebook. Enjoy :-)

I can't believe he's already 2 weeks old today! I have a 1 week post to do and now a 2 week post, so hopefully I can start getting caught up!

No comments: