Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Beenie's Wedding

I met Amanda, aka Beenie, my first semester of college at the U of A. We had every class together and eventually became roommates and best friends. I give her credit for making me be late everywhere I go! I was raised to always be early (anything later than 15 min early was considered late). She also helped me come out of my 'shell'. I have so many good and funny memories with her! She was one of my bridesmaids, so when I found out she was getting married, I knew I had to go!

The wedding was on the beach in Destin, FL. The plane tickets were ridiculously expensive so we decided to drive. We left Wednesday afternoon and stopped for the night in Memphis. I was hoping to meet up with one of my other best friends, Steph, but it was too late when we got there. We got up Thursday morning and drove the rest of the way to Destin. We arrived a little before 6 that evening. We checked into our hotel and just vegged out for a little while before going to eat dinner.

Friday morning we just took it easy and then went to the Air Force Armament Museum at Eglin Air Force Base after lunch. It was really neat to see all the airplanes and ammunition they had on display. We decided it would be nice to cool off with a blizzard from Dairy Queen. So, I searched for the nearest one with my phone & we headed that direction. We wound up in a neighborhood not too far from a mall. So, I said that I bet it was in the mall and sure enough it was! We got our cold, sweet treat and then headed back to the hotel to get ready for the wedding.

The wedding was beautiful, but had to be cut a little short due to a storm moving in. Afterwards, everyone went to the condo Beenie's family was renting and had some really good cajun food. It was soooo nice to get to see her again and catch up. I really wish I got to see her more often.




We searched for the top attractions in Destin and the Big Kahunas water park was on the top of the list. We decided we would go Saturday. It was so much fun! They closed late afternoon due to another storm moving in, so we headed back to the hotel to get cleaned up for dinner. One of the things we definitly wanted to do while there was eat some seafood. We wound up going to Fudpucker's. The wait was about 1 hour, but luckily they had Gator Beach to help pass the time. They have 100 real alligators and one albino one. It was really neat and the food was delicious!


Unfortunately, our mini vacation came to an end and we had to start the drive home Sunday. We arrived in Memphis early enough to have dinner with Steph, Josh, & Cadence. Even though our visit was only about 1 hour, it was so good to see them!

We finished up the trip Monday and are now back in the swing of things. It was nice to have a break from work, since it's been almost 2 years since my last vacation. Hopefully it won't be so long until the next one!

1 comment:

Mark and Cari said...

Glad you had a good time....one of these days we should take a vacation together!